contact me now
Seattle Trust Attorney Mary Anne Vance, P.S.
Seattle Trust Attorney Mary Anne Vance, P.S.

Resources for the Terminally Ill

— Mary Anne Vance, Attorney at Law

"Physician Order for Life Sustaining Treatment"

Your physician can now use a form to write orders that indicate what type of life-sustaining treatment you want or do not want at the end of life. The Physician Order for Life Sustaining Treatment ("POLST") form, recently introduced for physicians' use, is available from the Washington State Medical Association, (206) 441-9762, (click "for our patients" for a copy of the form). The form is intended for use by any person over the age of 18 with serious health conditions.

In addition to the POLST form, you should also have a Living Will (Health Care Directive) and a Medical Durable Power of Attorney. The Living Will says that you do not want to have your life prolonged by medical intervention if you are terminally ill. The Medical Durable Power of Attorney allows you to designate another person to make medical decisions for you if you are unable to do so.

We recommend all clients sign a Living Will and Medical Durable Power of Attorney, and that terminally ill clients review the POLST form with their physician.

Organizations Supporting the Terminally Ill

The following non-profit organizations provide support to terminally ill people and their families.

  • Hospice Program assists patients and their families in health care during the last months of their lives. A hospital social worker can refer you to a Hospice Program.
  • Compassion & Choices of Washington, (, (206) 256-1636) advocates for better pain management, patient-directed end-of-life care and expanded choices for the terminally ill.

Contact me if you have specific questions or would like to schedule an appointment.

» What Trust Law services do you provide?

Seattle Trust Attorney Mary Anne Vance, P.S.

Seattle, WA Estate & Trust Lawyers

Mary Anne Vance
Reed Longyear Malnati Corwin & Burnett
801 2nd Avenue, Suite 1415
Seattle, WA 98104
(206) 624-6271